Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Live small: The Tumbleweed Tiny House Company.

"You know you have reached perfection of design not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away. --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry"


"My name is Jay Shafer and since 1997 I have been living in a house smaller than some people's bathrooms. My decision to inhabit just 100 square feet arose from some concerns I had about the impact a larger house would have on the environment, and because I do not want to maintain a lot of unused or unusable space. My houses have met all of my domestic needs without demanding much in return. The simple, slower lifestyle my homes have afforded is a luxury for which I am continually grateful.

Since completing Tumbleweed, I have continued to make little buildings. How each house gets used depends on the occupant’s particular needs. My houses have been composed with meticulous attention to light, warmth, energy efficiency, and proportion. I have made the most of each cozy interior by minimizing transitional areas like hallways and stairwells and by using otherwise unusable space as storage. The simple, formal designs that have resulted are the best way I have found to order most any space and make it beautiful. "

XS-HOUSE:
Specifications: About 75sf, 7’ x 13’ x 11’, 4000lbs
Because its dimensions are well within the legal limits for travel on U.S. roadways, the XS-House can be taken almost anywhere. The porch and awning fold up for added convenience. The interior features a 100 cubic feet of storage, a cathedral ceiling, water heater, shower, toilet, stainless steel counter, refrigerator, sink, heat stove, a double burner, and a vented sleeping loft for two.

Z.GLASS HOUSE:
Specifications: About 392sf, 14’ x 28 ’ x 10’
This utilitarian structure represents the confluence of luxury and simplicity. The kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and storage are relegated to the ends of the structure, leaving the central area wide open. Stainless steel countertops, fireplace, and details contrast nicely with with the pine-ply interior. The exterior is clad in hot-rolled steel (as shown in picture) or corrugated metal.

As one who lives in a house no larger than a Tumbleweed, I can attest that small is indeed good. Easy to clean, easy on the enviroment, and keeps your possessions small and carefully thought out...I would not live any other way.

No comments: